KPDub

The World Cup thread

KPDub

So, 11 days to go and the warm up games are in full flow.

I thought England were very uninspiring yesterday against Nigeria, there is no talent there to get excited about.

There were two major issues for me yesterday;

1.  Ashley Young is so one footed.   I got sick of the times he just cut back onto his right and played the ball back, should have been looking to beat his man and whip a cross in, cos if he isn't going to do that, there is no point playing him, as the likes of Kane would be making a run, but there would be no ball for him

2.  Sterling should not be starting.   Regardless of the tattoo being right or wrong, he shows up late for training, then puts in a very average performance as he has done many times in an England shirt.   His final ball has always been poor (even going back to his time at Liverpool) and his finishing is so hit and miss.  Yes people will point to the goals he scored this season, but he plays for Man City who create a ton of chances every match and put most of them on a plate.     Then there is the dive, something which he has done a lot of the last two seasons and defenders will know, referees will know

Positives though for me were Cahill at Walker at the back and Loftus-Cheek when he came on.   Youngs dead ball deliver was good, but as above needs to be more confident on his left.   Other than that I felt the team were very much going through the motions and were a bit lazy, must improve a lot in the next game

Elsewhere France have been impressive and Germany suprisingly lost to Austria

KPDub

Didnt' see the Russia v Saudi game, but by all accounts , despite the score line, it was a rather dull game that flattered Russia as Saudi were apparently very poor

KPDub

Uruguay v Egypt 

1st Half, I'm very disappointed with Uruguay, I fancied Cavani or Suarez as an outside tip for golden boot, but both been very poor.   

KPDub

Jermaine Jenas totally mugged Phil Neville off in the half time review - "Don't tell me how to play centre midfield phil" :lol:

KPDub

Well that was a poor game.  Egypt looked solid enough, lack of quality from Uruguay.   Suarez I think was a bit naughty at the end of the game, yes he got fouled but looked like he tried to do something to the egyptian player, almost like he was trying to claw him or something.  You know he did something as he made a grab for his head straight after to make it look like he was the one who had something done to him

ITSJUSTGlenn

Pleasantly surprised at the standard of football coming from Morocco and Iran in the first half, quite enjoyable so far 👏

KPDub

Ronaldo with a dive there to win the pen.  Still, good to get an early goal

KPDub

Cracking goal by Diego Costa, Pepe is a big girls blouse for holding his face when he was clearly not hit there.   Good game this

KPDub

What a game.  The World Cup needed this match, especially early on and hopefully we will see some more entertaining games. 

Cracking goals, Ronaldo as much as I hate the guy can't half score a free kick.

Over to you Messi :)

estronal210

Just finished watching last night's Match of the Day and just have one word:

Pepe

*Shakes Head*

M J Pound

Argentina were shocking today, reminded me of England. Looks like Messi again won’t win the World Cup and I am afraid his time is running out

M J Pound

Wow

Am I really watching England play very well at a World Cup.

ok it is Panama however what a first half

KPDub

Interesting WC so far, not one team has really shone other than England and until they lost today, Russia.   Suprised none of the big hitters have been playing well.

I still think England will get to the QFs and no further, but no one will want to play us and if we create chances like that against the big nations and cut out the silly mistakes at the back (Walker and Maguire) then we could go further.

VAR is bitter / sweet at the moment.  In many ways its worked well, but equally its been a waste of time (non England pens, non Egypt pen)

KPDub

Delighted Germany went out, gives us a chance of getting further :lol:

Tonight, looks like neither team wants to win.   Bad move by Southgate swapping the team round so much, just losing any momentum we had.

KPDub

Well isn't this the world cup of suprises and shocks.   Some of the big boys gone home already.    Brazils to lose

Sgt Sharkey

Very surprised how nine reactive the ref was and how he didn’t send off Columbia’s for the aggression to the ref. 

M J Pound

It was stupid, ref did not have the balls. Gave a pen but how long did it take for the Columbia to leave the box, complaining to the ref.

Sgt Sharkey

I wasn’t fussed who got through in this game just wanted it to be decent game. Columbia was foul cheating bleep bleeps and I think anyone who was arguing and being aggressive should be sent off and that not so quite Zinedine Zidane moment should have been a sent off. 

But I can see he didn’t want to react and through cards about and didn’t want car to dictate but try and keep cool and the game flowing which it nearly did in second half. 

KPDub
10 hours ago, Sgt Sharkey said:

I wasn’t fussed who got through in this game just wanted it to be decent game. Columbia was foul cheating bleep bleeps and I think anyone who was arguing and being aggressive should be sent off and that not so quite Zinedine Zidane moment should have been a sent off. 

But I can see he didn’t want to react and through cards about and didn’t want car to dictate but try and keep cool and the game flowing which it nearly did in second half. 

Someone drunk posting this ? :lol:

ITSJUSTGlenn
4 minutes ago, KPDub said:

Someone drunk posting this ? :lol:

Don’t forget @Sgt Sharkey supports Germany so might well have been sober 😜

estronal210

It's time. Whether England make the Final or not, do remember the unsung heroes that have helped make all of this possible... The undercover journos who invited Big Sam out for a lunch