JasonSchlueter

AI

JasonSchlueter

The AI on release is bad.  This is a kart race at AI level 60.

KPDub

Hmmm, this seems a hang over from the first game.  I don't have the video, probalby on my feed, but I encountered this on Project Cars 1 racing with saloon cars or something.   Anyway, was one of the last turns of a track (can't remember which one) but I was in last, came to the corner and there was a 20+car traffic jam because one crashed on the corner, I had to bash my way through it and when I got there the next lap, there was still a traffic jam and the next lap and the next :doh:

Daft Sith

Haven't bothered with this game due to being a controller player. I Was hoping that there would be a Demo for it so I could judge it for myself

JasonSchlueter
5 hours ago, Loodychris said:

Haven't bothered with this game due to being a controller player. I Was hoping that there would be a Demo for it so I could judge it for myself

I remember reading that they absolutely would not do a demo of the game.  I'm not sure why.  I can recommend staying away if you do depend on the joystick.  I've heard "acceptable" at best for gamepad control.  Stick with Forza.  Less options but a much better experience with the joystick.

If one did choose to pick it up, it's on sale for $42 (30% off) right now.  There are lots and lots of bugs but AI is better than this video.

KPDub

Not that I buy a game on the strength of a demo (often) but I get suspicious when developers deliberately don't release or refuse to release a demo

Daft Sith

Strangely, a demo for this game has been released today. They must have heard me. Downloading now and will give it a go later 

Daft Sith

Had a quick go at this using a Ferrari 458 GT3 around the Austrian Red Bull Ring circuit.

Seems fun and controller input seems much improved over the first game. There is room for improvement but I will have a play around with some settings later and see where that takes me.

Based on what I've played, I may purchase it.

JasonSchlueter

I'm glad a demo has come out. Ian Bell said that they would not make one. Maybe sales are hurting.

Daft Sith

Only thing that concerns me is that some people are complaining that the Demo seems to be from a different build of the game that looks and plays better than the full release!?

Does the full game still have problems?

M J Pound

Played demo and thought it was poor, it is better than last one but not going to purchase.

• Thanks 1

JasonSchlueter
4 hours ago, Loodychris said:

Only thing that concerns me is that some people are complaining that the Demo seems to be from a different build of the game that looks and plays better than the full release!?

Does the full game still have problems?

The full game has tons of issues.  After the first patch, we've been waiting for a second for about six weeks.  There are FFB issues on many tracks, game save deleting bugs, and many other things that should have been caught the first time around.  The PC version was QC'd by SMS but the console versions were outsourced - so PS4 and Xbox see the same issues.  I played the demo and thought it wasn't miles better but even if it is on sale now, wait another month or so.  We're in dire need of some big bug fixes and a missing feature that was supposed to be there at launch - leagues.  Online play is also plagued with issues but it's mostly people with awful internet connections.  I'm not defending SMS...some people just need to be mad when it's their fault.

Graphically it will be enhanced for Xbox One X so it might be worth trying the updated demo when that's the case.  Those enhancements haven't been released yet.  It won't include 4k but will include HDR output.  Personally I don't give two craps about graphics if the game is good but it seems to be a burr in some people's shoe that this doesn't look as good as Forza.

Unless you want to get the PC version or you want to play with a wheel - wait.  Possibly forever.  I'll share my impressions as updates roll in.

Daft Sith

Shame, I Quite like the demo, especially after I changed the controller settings.

As much as I enjoy Forza for what it is, the more realistic racing model in PC2 appeals to me as well.

I Believe that the demo is the enhanced version as I have the ability to select between better visuals, resolution and frame rate. I Watched a YouTube video that said that the demo contains the upcoming patch for the game which would explain why people are saying that it looks a bit better and plays a bit better.

Will keep and eye on this as its something I'm interested in.

JasonSchlueter

@Loodychris I'm keeping a close eye on the SMS forums and the discord room and will report back as things change.  Supposedly the patch has been released and is in QC with Sony/Microsoft.  Once it makes it through the console patch process we will see the PC version released at the same time.

I am a very long-term Forza fan.  I've even got a Forza sticker on the back of my car but I really believe that this is the real motorsport game (at least as far as console can reach).  There is a better wheel/driving game (Assetto Corsa) and there is a better "car" game (Forza) but I believe that this is a better motorsport game as a whole.  And a true simulator to boot.  I really think that once the bugs are squished that this will be the mediocre-selling niche hidden gem that it deserves to be.

Real damage and pit strategies alone make it awesome.  I love figuring out fuel economy and "how many more laps can I do?" or is the aero damage repair time with twenty laps to go worth doing  if it cuts my lap time by 5 seconds.  I like that and I feel like that is motosrport.

Visually it's poor by comparison to Forza but you're actually simulating things inside the car and weather and track temperature.  Forza doesn't worry about the weather (it's beautiful but scripted), track temp, tire type, etc.  It's 4K, 60FPS because it can be.

JasonSchlueter

Patch 3 was just released for PC which means it'll probably be a few days for console users.  Here are the details (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55001-Project-CARS-2-PC-Updates-Changelog&p=1432220&viewfull=1#post1432220) some relevant, some not (VR, etc.).  I doubt the demo will be updated right away but I imagine that an updated demo with these improvements will be pushed eventually.

Daft Sith

I Quickly scanned the list, nice to see that they are improving things but couldn't see anything to address the career progression issue!?

JasonSchlueter

The patch notes haven't been released yet for consoles.  The career thing wasn't a problem on PC - only on console.  Once the console patch it out the notes will follow.  I'm pretty sure that 98% of the PS4 notes will match the Xbox notes so we can check those soon.  Sony got the last patch through QC before Microsoft is why I mention this.  Xbox will surely have some X1X notes.

KPDub

I will pick this game up, but not immediately.   Firstly, still not played thorugh the first one yet and have some other racers in my library to play through, but secondly I got the first one at release and remember it had severeal issues that needed a while to be properly patched and given I'm reading other issues about the sequel that need patching, I think by the time I get round to getting it, the game will be fixed and a joy to play

JasonSchlueter

@KPDub With the second out, I'd honestly say to skip the first.  If you have a wheel then try it but if you depend on gamepad, just go to the second.

But for gamepad there are many other games that are more fun.  Like Forza with a wheel, Project CARS with a joystick is an exercise in frustration.

That's just my two cents.

KPDub
On 03/12/2017 at 15:01, JasonSchlueter said:

@KPDub With the second out, I'd honestly say to skip the first.  If you have a wheel then try it but if you depend on gamepad, just go to the second.

But for gamepad there are many other games that are more fun.  Like Forza with a wheel, Project CARS with a joystick is an exercise in frustration.

That's just my two cents.

TBH I get on with the pad on the first one.  About half way through that hero to zero achievement ( I hope) Formula golf I think I'm up to, but accidentally advanced the season :doh:

Daft Sith

Was tempted by this last night as I noticed that it had gone on sale again for £25 which, for Jason, works out at just over $33

JasonSchlueter

@Loodychris Patch 3 came out yesterday as well.  I put about two hours in last night trying to get a setup right and it was the first time I'd put in two hours without game crashes.  It felt fluid and stable in the menus.  Going into the menus and navigating quickly has always been one of those "pucker" moments, hoping that the game would handle my input.  I'd say that if you were on the fence, now is the time to give it a try with real money with the sale price and stable patch.  I'm sure it'll be on sale again soon enough and I'm confident that future patches will only make it better.

That said, online championships have been added so you can make up your own brackets and stuff now which would be pretty cool if you were one of those people who could play a game without pausing every five minutes to see if your three year old was smearing poop all over the walls.  So, not for me, but it's an awesome feature. :)

Daft Sith

Thanks for the info Jason :up:

KPDub

Tempted at £25

The online championships would be great fun, shame not enough play or at least we could have AI competitors in it

Daft Sith

We do seem to be very fragmented with racing games at the moment.

We all seem to be playing different things so even starting a time trial event would prove difficult.

I Only have Forza 7 at present

Daft Sith

Project Cars 2 is on sale on the Xbox store for £29.99. Game also have it for £29.99 as well so I might pick up a copy when i'm in town tomorrow.

Been playing the demo a fair bit lately to mess around with controller settings etc and i'm having a lot of fun with it now.

That said, I have also started playing Leagues on Forza 7 to see what rank I can get up to