M J Pound

Xbox One X Review

M J Pound

I thought I would post something about the X now that I have one maybe to help people decide on if they should pay out for it or keep with the S.  I will try to keep it basic but any questions people have let me know.

• First of all the console itself, looks identical to the Xbox One S but finally it is now in black. It is heavier than the S but not a huge difference. Controller is nice but nothing stands out compared to the controllers already used however will be using my Elite Controller so this will just sit as a spare.

• Setup is exactly the same although I did like the  little feature when downloading the update you could log onto a website and set your settings for your console. Although this wouldn’t of taken much time to do it was a nice touch that you could be actually doing something whilst waiting for it to update.

• When all done I was hoping when it booted up I would get the wow factor. This was not forthcoming but quickly worked out why. My console display settings were to 1080p. I am not sure if this is standard as would of thought the system would of automatically selected the best picture but when I selected 4K I held my breath and waited to accept the settings. All I can say from that point was WOW! The dashboard (home) looked crisp, text more clear and for me with poor eyesight I could read everything clearly instead of squinting to read. At this point I was thinking things were looking good. However the size of some of the downloads to run 4K makes the 1TB drive pointless. Surely a minimum would be 2GB. However for myself not an issue as have a 4tb hard drive but might be worth investing if you don’t have one before buying the X.

• Games Games Games, end of the day this is what we use the Xbox for isn’t it. So far only played a few laps on Forza 7 which is supposed to be the flagship game for the new console. It does not disappoint, quality images great graphics and runs smoothly. I am very impressed with how it has turned out. Honestly seeing Videos does not do it justice. I hope to play a few more games to try but really happy with the outcome.

• Overall it is a better console, it clearly is better graphics than what we have had. Although is it worth £450? If you have a 4K tv then it may be worth looking into as you will not be disappointed however if you don’t have one then keep with the S. To spend over a grand for a new tv and the console itself it is not worth it.

Inwould give it 4 out of 5 with the only thing not givIng it a full 5 is the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Solid slug 84

I'm impressed with it also. Very surprised how halo 5 looks and plays. But the issue u have is I'm having to wait till people return in bed before I can play anything as the 4k TV is our main TV. I use to have it on my 1080p gaming monitor in my corner but I'm worried I'll miss out if I put it on the monitor but will have more game time 

M J Pound
8 hours ago, SILVER8Knight said:

Thanks for that, im still undecided whether to get 1, not that I have a 4k tv yet so not much point.

They say it should still improve 1080p quality and unless I have missed it I don’t think Rocket League is 4K but looked very crisp last night. But for the small change I would not rush out unless you own a 4K TV

M J Pound
1 hour ago, Solid slug 84 said:

I'm impressed with it also. Very surprised how halo 5 looks and plays. But the issue u have is I'm having to wait till people return in bed before I can play anything as the 4k TV is our main TV. I use to have it on my 1080p gaming monitor in my corner but I'm worried I'll miss out if I put it on the monitor but will have more game time 

Benefits of having two Xbox systems plus wife being pregnant so she goes to bed early 👍🏻

Solid slug 84
1 hour ago, Devils Gargoyle said:

Benefits of having two Xbox systems plus wife being pregnant so she goes to bed early 👍🏻

Yeah I miss those days. Although my missus goes to bed between 8 and 9 and I'm up till half 11 which is no good when I have work at 5 

ERT Chris

Still really impressed with mine.

The enhancements to Halo 5 have been done really well, the game looks incredible in 4K.

KPDub
12 hours ago, Solid slug 84 said:

This is the main reason I'm not getting one.   Convincing my wife to get a 4k TV is one thing, but asking her if she would kindly disappear whilst I play on the xbox is quite another, the other alternative would be to purchase two 4k tvs and that ain't happening anytime soon, unless Black friday sees TV prices drop incredibly and have bogof deals on em

Sickb0y77

I've been really impressed with mine. It's so quiet, small and the performace/visual upgrades have been excellent. The Withcher 3 update is sensational, I use it for the 60fps mode.

I only wish GTA online would get patched - after I played it on PC, going back to the xbox version is rough.

It is expensive - but a seamless upgrade which enhances so much of your exisiting library - I'd agree with 4/5 stars :)

JasonSchlueter

I was lucky to get mine.  I see a huge difference in Project CARS 2 in the way the steering wheel feels.  I think that the first-generation Xbox One put out a lower update rate to the wheel and things felt gritty as well as the visuals being pretty poor.  The X gives the game the horsepower needed to keep all the cars functioning without compromise and the wheel feels so much smoother than before.  Even simple things as draw distance help with judging braking distance with road-side markers.  I wouldn't have bought it for its full cost but it performs well for what it is.

P.S. The system-to-system game transfer will save lots of re-installation time.

KPDub

In practice, I've got a green light to get one.  This was after the 5 year old asked for an Xbox for his birthday.   My wife was like "we aren't spending that much on him for one present, I'd rather we buy a new one for you, then give him your old one".   Still a bit away from a 4k TV yet and there are other things we need to plan for and consider first, but at least the purchase of one is on the wifes radar, and as we all know, they wear the pants in our relationships :lol:

• Haha 1

TheIronChimp

My original Xbox ones drive was starting to play up so I decided to get a one x when it launched. I have to say I haven't been disappointed with my purchase. Although I do have a 4k TV I didn't plump for a HDR set as the cost was quite high and there was still issues with which standard HDR would be the definitive version. 

Anyway the games look really sharp when playing the 4k updates. Plus older games tend to run smoother and where previously i had  some games where the framerate would drop these drops now these are almost non exsitant now. I would like to see some more back compat games and OG Xbox games get 4K patches because its been great revisiting older games at these higher resoloutions.

M J Pound
1 hour ago, estronal210 said:

Guess who's getting one today 😁

Someone with money

ERT Chris

Nice. Still really impressed by mine. 

Fan seems to rev up a bit from time to time especially when playing PUBG

UKCowboy74

Got the Scorpio Edition day one and still running like New the only sounds I get from the Xbox area are the noises from the External HDD

JasonSchlueter

I turned off HDR after about two weeks.  I could make it look good on one game but the next would take me changing the TV settings.  It became too much of a hassle.  The plan was to get the TV to look good in HDR for one game then only turn on HDR in the settings when I played that game.  I'd forget almost every time so I just stopped all together.

4k looks lovely, though where it's supported.  Forza 7 is such a pretty game.  The 4k update to Horizon 3 is well done, too.

TheIronChimp

I remember my camera taking photos in HDR and sometimes the image would ge fantastic but othertimes it was a bit meh due to the colour. I could imagine that this could be similar when viewing gameplay.